Today, one of the greatest beginner-friendly boards you can buy is a soft-top surfboard. Whilst you will see that there is a huge range of soft-top boards to choose from on the market, they are each designed to be extremely stable, versatile, and buoyant in the water.
These boards are particularly popular with beginner and intermediate surfers. Price is always one of the biggest factors to consider when it comes to buying a surfboard, so if you are considering purchasing a soft top surfboard, then you may be wondering how much they typically cost.
Now, what’s great about soft top surfboards is that they come in a range of shapes, sizes, and materials, meaning their price range is extremely varied. On Amazon, soft top surfboards generally tend to fall within the price range of $200-$600.
Several factors determine the price of these soft tops but the two primary factors are quality of construction and board size. For example, if you’re looking for a 9’ longboard with a quad fin set up and a bamboo outer layer, you’re probably looking at paying a few hundred dollars extra than a 6’ shortboard with plastic fins and a fiberglass coating.
We thought we would give you an indication of the sorts of prices you can expect to see on the soft top surfboard market today. We have gone through a few different price ranges, explained what kinds of features and materials you will see from boards in these ranges and we have also provided you with a great option from each category.
We hope that by the end of this article you will have a better understanding of the pricing of soft-top surfboards and will, therefore, be able to choose a board that suits both your surfing ability and your budget.
Soft top surfboards below $200
There are some brilliant soft top surfboards on the market for under $200. Whilst they may not be as technically constructed or high-performing as some of the other models out there, these basic boards do absolutely everything an entry-level surfer would need. They are often on the shorter side in terms of length, have rounded rails, and will come equipped with standard, plastic soft-edged fins. Whilst soft-top surfboards in this price range are probably not going to be suitable for intermediate or advanced surfers, they are perfect for groms and beginners.
If you are looking for a board at around this price, we would recommend looking at manufacturers such as Decathlon and Costco. Here is an example of the sort of board you could get your hands on for under $200:
The Thurso Surf Lancer Fish Soft Top Surfboard is a wonderful option for kids and entry-level surfers under 200lbs. Its high-density EPS core means this board is extremely lightweight and buoyant, whilst its HPDE heat laminated slick bottom ensures that the board is both responsive and highly durable. It is clear that this entry-level board has been designed with stability in mind.
It is not only strong and cushioned in its construction but it has two wood stringers that run through its core and two adjustable fins that can be adjusted to your preference. The fishtail of the board allows for increased hold and control whilst the added surface area allows for planning speed and lift.
This soft top board is a great option for the younger riders who are looking for a fun, buoyant, and stable ride. For the price, you cannot go wrong.
- THURSO SURF Lancer 5'10" kids fish tail soft top surfboard package includes one surfboard + twin fins + 6' high-end double stainless steel swivels and triple rail saver ankle leash made with strong recycled plastic / Board sizes: 5'10" x 20" x 2.75" (155 cm x 51 cm x 7 cm) / Board volume 33.6 Liter / Board weight: 6 lbs / Recommended max rider weight: 200 lbs
- The board is designed with a focus on stability and glide for easy riding with maximum enjoyment. High density EPS core makes the board very light and buoyant. The stiff and durable EPS core is the perfect core for hours of surfing fun
- HDPE slick bottom (heat laminated) is a strong and responsive bottom skin that adds stiffness and maximises board speed / High density durable IXPE deck (heat laminated) makes the board well cushioned and sealed to reduce risk of delamination
- Two wood stringers will provide greater longitudinal strength, rigidity and controlled flex / Two fins adds stability / Adjustable fin box makes the board good at changing performance and easy to transport
- Fish tail gives the board more hold and traction, provides more surface area from rail to rail, and allows for planning speed and lift. The board is popular among some high performance surfers in the nitro-small-wave hotdogger range
Soft top surfboards between $200 and $250
You can find some amazing boards within this price range that are still great value for money, but slightly better in their ability to perform. You will often find that boards around the $250 mark are targeted towards beginners and younger surfers, but they are just that little bit more advanced so that they can handle slightly bigger waves and heavier surfers. If you are looking for a board in this price category, you will want to look at brands such as Foamy Surf and Kuruf Surf.
These retailers tend to specialize in boards for younger riders and therefore have several options of cheaper, soft-top models. Here is an example of a great board you can buy in the price range of $200-$250:
BETWEEN $200 AND $250
The Boardworks Froth! Soft Top Surfboard comes in a choice of 4 different sizes. The cheapest out of the bunch is the 5’ Shortboard, which is a fantastic board for beginners, rippers, and wake surfers.
This board is designed to be extremely versatile and work well in a range of conditions. This makes it a great option for riders looking for an every-day companion who is looking to get out into the water, no matter what the weather or surf conditions are like. This board comes with real Future fin boxes and a thruster set up.
This makes for an extremely stable and controlled ride which is perfect for those who are less experienced in the water. This board is essentially the younger brother of the well-loved Boardworks Froth collection. This board is brilliant for anyone looking for a high-performing board at an extremely reasonable price.
- Created for fun and versatility with generous volume
- Can be used by beginners, rippers, and wake surfers
- Light, yet durable construction makes it Super user friendly and fun for all abilities
- Froth brand recognized in the wall street journal's gear & gadgets column as "game changing gear"
- Soft EVA outer skin wraps a fully glassed EPS foam core
Soft top surfboards between $250 and $400
Now, with a slightly higher budget, you can get yourself an incredible soft-top surfboard. Within this price range, you will see soft-top models that will appeal to not only beginners but the more advanced and even professional surfers.
These boards will typically be constructed with slightly higher quality materials than those of a lower price range and will be equipped with more advanced fin systems. You will also find that many of these boards will come with leashes which are particularly useful for entry-level surfers.
If you are looking for a board that falls between this price range, you should check out brands such as Torq and Wavestorm. Here, we have an example of the kind of board you could get for this sort of price:
BETWEEN $250 AND $400
The 9ft Foam Surfboard from California Board Company is a wonderful board that comes from one of the most reputable surfboard brands in the US. This board is built of a 100% EPS foam core and a high-density Polyethylene slick bottom- meaning it is not only flexible and lightweight but highly strong and durable.
The thickness of this board means that it is extremely stable and smooth in the water, whilst its length makes it a perfect board for just about anyone. It not only sports a beautiful and classic design, but it comes with a PU surf leash and a tri-fin system.
This board is an all-rounder and the perfect option for the more experienced riders who are looking for a great board at a reasonable price.
- PU Surf Leash and Tri-fin System
- 100% Waterproof EPS Core
- Tri-fin System with Nylon Screws
- High Density Polyetheylene Slick Bottom
- Custom Molded Shape; Board Dimensions 104" x 24" x 4"
Soft top surfboards at $400+
Whilst there are some wonderful soft-top boards out there on the market for half the price, if you are looking for the perfect every-day high-performing board, we would recommend splurging out just that little bit more if you can.
Boards of this price range are generally going to be a lot more well made. They are often layered with materials such as bamboo and high-tech fiberglass and are equipped with pronounced rockers, decent rail shapes and sometimes, traction pads. You will often find that boards of this price have been shaped by highly respected brands and are sometimes even eco-friendly in their composition.
These boards are going to be able to perform a lot better in a range of conditions and will have the ability to perform sharp turns and tricks. You will want to look at brands such as JK Surfboards, Chilli, and Firewire if you are looking for a board in this price range. Here is an example of a board in this price range:
South Bay Board Co. is one of the most reputable surfboard manufacturers in the industry. They are particularly popular with beginner and intermediate surfers due to their highly successful range of hybrid soft-top boards. The 7’ Elefante Soft Top Board is a somewhat classic on the funboard market.
This board is known for being incredibly nimble and controlled in its movement whilst its length and entry rocker allows it to catch just about any wave the ocean has to offer. It is built of lightweight EPS closed-cell foam core, a glassed hard bottom deck, and is finished with a custom wax-free ‘fingerprint’ textured foam deck.
For further durability and flexibility, the board is equipped with a double I-beam stringer system and is armored with a layer of bamboo wood. Whilst this board is much more expensive than many of the other options on the market, it does not go without reason. It is extremely well made and capable of satisfying riders of all abilities. If you are able to push the boat out to reach this price range, the Elefante by South Bay Board and Co. would be a wonderful option to look at.
- The Elefante is 91" x 23" x 2.85" with 57L of volume and supports riders up to 250 lb
- This 7'7" funboard includes 4 FCS fins (quad set), 9” FCS longboard single fin, fin key & 8' leash
- The tail rocker is flatter for better speed and the rounded retro nose provides ample space for planting your toes
- The board's double I-Beam Stringer System has 2 full length I-Beam wood stringers, spanning nose to tail and top deck to bottom deck, making this board extremely durable
- A heat-release valve and bamboo layers on top and bottom deck provide head damage prevention to help your board last