The beauty of bodyboarding is that whatever your ability, you are guaranteed to have a fun experience. Easier to learn and much less physically demanding than surfing, the sport has become a popular choice for water enthusiasts over the past few decades.
Whilst bodyboarding wasn’t always welcome in the world of competitive sport, it is now considered as a technical, respected sport with professionals constantly coming up with wild, radical ways to ride a wave.
Bodyboarding is a way to get into the waves without having to master the difficult techniques of surfing. A lot easier to learn the basics, bodyboarding is a sport for all members of the family at all ages and abilities. The sport is not only easier to pick up, but statistically, much safer than surfing, allowing you to get a similar thrill without the added risks and dangers.
Compared to surfboards, bodyboards are much cheaper and easier to maneuver around (especially if there are few riders in the family!) When choosing the right bodyboard, there are several things you should consider to find the best possible bodyboard for enjoying the water.
Some of the factors you should think about before choosing a bodyboard include, where you will be using it, what technical level you are intending to be performing at, and whether you are planning on traveling with the bodyboard.
Luckily for you, we have tried to make things easier by taking you through some of the best options on the market, answering some of your big questions, and guiding you towards the sort of things you should be looking out for on your hunt.
Top 5 Best Bodyboards
OUR TOP PICK
If you’re looking for something that ticks all the boxes and is brilliant value for money, then you probably don’t need to look any further than the GYN Trade Legendary Pro X Bodyboard.
Like all of GYN Trade models, this bodyboard is not only compact and lightweight but is widely recognized for its durability and strength amongst all types of weather and harsher aquatic conditions.
Available in a range of unique designs, this bodyboard will allow you to stand out amongst the waves, which is something you want to consider especially if you are a beginner or buying for a child.
This model features a slick hard bottom, a tough EPS foam core, and a crescent tail meaning this bodyboard will perform swiftly and sharply in all types of water.
Overall, this bodyboard is ideal because whilst it was generally designed for those who are somewhat experienced, it works just as well for beginners and children.
This bodyboard is not only easy to maneuver and available in a range of sizes but it comes with a detachable wrist retention leash. This bodyboard is an excellent option that is highly commended on the market. It should quite rightly sit near the top of your list.
- Unique and varied choice of design
- Great value for money
- Sturdy, durable build
- Performs well in a variety of water conditions
- Comes with an adjustable ankle strap
- The outer layer of film is prone to bubbling if left in the sun
- Legendary Bodyboards are Heat Sealed, not glued. The heat sealing process bonds the layers together and provides a stronger stiffer board that prevent to bubble.
- Lightweight hard slick bottom bodyboard with detachable wrist retention leash. Atte: The leash is located at the bottom of the board and when the plastic wrap is remove the leash can be easily missed! Picture with the leash location included on every variation!
- With Legendary bodyboard you will enjoy the waves and have years of fun on the water.
- This quality Heat Sealed bodyboard is designed for beginners and more experienced boarders. This model features a crescent tail, slick hard bottom and sturdy construction for serious waves.
- Size 33'' - 16''Wide and 2'' Thick: 33 inch for riders heights 3-5' up to 150lb . Size 42'' - 22''Wide and 2 1/3'' Thick: 42 Inch for riders heights 5.5- 6.2' up to 220lb.
At a very reasonable price, The Storm Bodyboard by BPS is one of the best options if you are a beginner or younger bodyboarder.
Equipped with a premium coiled bodyboard leash, a set of fin tethers, and printed instructions, this pack is perfect for anyone who is just starting and doesn’t want to spend a fortune on accessories.
Unlike many boards, the BPS pack comes with a reassuring guarantee that states that if you are not 100% satisfied, then you will have the decision to be refunded or replaced. This is a factor you may want to look out for, especially as bodyboarding performance can be easily affected by sizing issues.
This model was created with precision in mind. Constructed with an EPS core, bottom rear channels, a non-slip coating, and a crescent tail, this bodyboard can guarantee high performance with stability, speed, and durability on its side.
Not only is this board impressively built, but available in a range of vibrant designs, it will appeal to all kinds of riders.
Overall, this board is perfect if for a beginner looking to get involved with the water over the summer. Its reliable, lightweight, and comes with everything you need.
Whether you are heading off on holiday or simply down to the local beach, the Storm Bodyboard by BPS will ensure you have a wonderful time.
- Wide range of designs to choose from
- Comes with fin tethers, a coiled leash, and printed instructions
- Easy to control
- Sturdy, durable construction
- More expensive compared to other brands
- BPS STORM Bodyboard Pack comes with one Super lightweight Body Board (just choose from the variety of cool colors) and BPS’s fantastic PREMIUM coiled bodyboard leash (MRRP $16.99 on its own), plus a set of fin tethers to make sure you don't lose your swim fins in the waves. PLEASE NOTE: Pack includes one bodyboard, one leash and two fin savers. Leash and Fin tethers will be at the very bottom of the board wrapped in a tight bundle underneath the plastic wrapping.
- The STORM Body Board is amazingly light and features a high speed slick bottom surface, an EPS core, bottom rear channels for great performance and a crescent tail to further help performance. Please check your size using the size recommendation chart. The Premium leash included will keep your board attached to you at all times and is super comfortable (please check its reviews), as are the fin tethers included to look after your precious swim fins.
- When you purchase you will be receiving printed instructions included w/ the board written by us (with photos of course!) on how to install your leash and use your fin tethers. We'll also tell you how to look after your STORM Body Board by leaving the board 'white side up' when in the sun. (This is the same for ALL 'soft' surfboards, Body-boards and SUP's as this stops air pressure building up within the board).
- Buy with TOTAL confidence – each Bodyboard pack has a SERIOUS guarantee - if you are not 100% satisfied on delivery your board will be replaced or refunded (you choose) - and then the board is guaranteed against any defects for a FULL 12 MONTHS – And like ALL products from 'Surf and Snow Warehouse ' these Boards are stored and shipped (quickly and reliably) to you by Amazon in the US.
- Thank you for looking at a product from our store - Surf and Snow. We are a small family business that ONLY sells what we know and love - water sports gear. We know our products, use our products, and stand behind them 100% (please do check our feedback) - So if you have any questions about using any of our products please just ask. Thank you.
The Black Marlin Bodyboard was designed with beaches, rivers, and even water parks in mind. The minimal, clean design of the board gives it a sportier appearance compared to some of the other models, making it a popular choice amongst older or more experienced riders.
It's lightweight and easy to transport but this doesn’t compromise the quality. The high-tech slick bottom increases projection and flexibility whilst working to create a sturdy, durable body.
The crescent tail is designed to increase the board’s fluidity and allows for increased traction and performance through the water. These features are the kind typically found within more expensive models so it truly is a steal when you consider its price.
The Black Marlin bodyboard has a core of tightly packed polyethylene making it a perfect board for those who tend to prefer a heavier and more flexible execution.
The board also comes with a wrist leash that will work to secure you during a wipeout and with no requirement of modification whatsoever, you will be all ready to go. Whilst this board is probably better for casual use and not so much for professionals, it is still highly equipped to perform amazingly in the water.
This board features everything you will need to start out in the world of bodyboarding and at a good price, you will struggle to go wrong.
- Comes with a modifiable leash
- Crescent-shaped tail enhancing speed and stability
- Good value for money
- EPS core for buoyancy and flexibility
- Only one choice of design/color
- FUN AT THE BEACH - Reading on the beach and getting a tan is enjoyable and relaxing, but nothing compares to the thrill of riding a wave. However big or small you are, the Lucky Bums Body Board is ready for hours of fun at the beach, river, or waterpark.
- DYNAMIC DESIGN - Black Marlin's Body Board is designed for all wave conditions to give the board excellent control, more maneuverability, and increased speeds.
- AMAZINGLY LIGHT & PERFORMANCE FOCUSED - Features a high speed slick bottom surface, an EPS core, bottom rear channels for great performance and a crescent tail to further help performance.
- COMES WITH A LEASH - ($16.99 on its own) This board doesn't require any modification; it's ready to ride out of the box. Strap the leash to your wrist and have it secured to you through any wipe out.
- BETTER THAN MONEY BACK GUARANTEE: If you're not completely satisfied, then CONTACT US and we will give you a 100% refund within 30 days of purchase. It is our intention to offer the highest customer service on this platform.
Now, the Wave Bodyboard Beach Attack Pack comes with not only a ‘Wave Weapon’ bodyboard but a premium coiled bodyboard leash and a set of fin tethers. This pack was designed with beginners in mind, providing absolutely everything you need to kick off your bodyboarding career.
This board boasts an HDPE slick bottom which not only gives the board strength but allows for increased speed and agility with resistance-free riding. Despite its solid, durable body, the board is renowned for its light-weight feel. It was designed to allow riders of all shapes and sizes to be able to control and maneuver their board.
This makes the Own the Wave model a great option if you are a family looking to share the board over your summer holiday. This board would be perfect if you were a parent looking to teach your children the craft as the largest of the boards will carry a weight of up to 85kgs.
Available in 3 sizes and a variety of bright colors, there is a board for everyone, and you can tailor it to be exactly how you like. For the price, this bodyboard promises a long lifespan and excellent performance whilst ensuring high visibility amongst the water. What sets it amongst top of the bunch is the 12-month warranty that comes with every purchase.
The small, family-run business is known for its support and customer care, which is why this board would be a brilliant option for anyone unsure or hesitant about making such an investment.
- Comes as a pack which includes a leash and 2 fins, savers
- HPDE slick bottom for increased speed and overall performance
- A generous selection of colors to choose from
- Strong but lightweight
- Crescent tail for speed and increased performance
- On the pricier side in comparison to others
- The ‘Beach Attack Pack’ comes with a Super lightweight Own the Wave ‘WAVE WEAPON’ BodyBoard, Own the Wave’s PREMIUM coiled bodyboard leash ($16.99 on its own), and a set of fin tethers to make sure you don't lose your swim fins in the waves. The PREMIUM coiled leash will keep your board attached to you at all times. PLEASE NOTE: Pack includes 1 bodyboard, 1 leash and 2 fin savers. Leash and Fin savers are at the very bottom of the board wrapped in a tight bundle underneath the plastic wrapping.
- HDPE Slick bottom to intensify the performance driven by the board. It does not only add strength, but it also makes the bodyboard a resistance-free riding for improved speed and maneuverability. Its EPS core, bottom rear channels is for great execution and a crescent tail to enhance it more. Choose your best-loved colour and use the size chart (on the pictures) to know what will suit you.
- You will be receiving your purchase together with printed instructions written by us (with photos of course!) on how to install your leash and use your fin tethers. We'll also tell you how to look after your WAVE WEAPON Body Board by leaving the board 'white side up' when in the sun. (This is the same for ALL 'soft' surfboards, Body-boards and SUP's as this stops air pressure building up within the board).
- Buy with complete confidence, as all our products are stored and shipped quickly and reliably to you. All Own the Wave products are 100% guaranteed -- if it doesn't deliver what it is supposed to at any time within 12 MONTHS of purchase, it will be replaced or you'll be refunded -- your choice!
- Thank you for looking at a product from our store, Surf and Snow Warehouse. We are a small family business that ONLY sells what we know and love -- water sports gear. We know our products, use our products, and stand behind them 100%. We are known for the great product support, advice and after-sales service we provide -- so if you have ANY questions about any of our products, please just ask.
Morey is an established, iconic brand that sells both classic and vintage models of boards suitable for a wide range of riders. Founded in 1973 by Thomas Hugh Morey, the brand has evolved massively throughout the decades and is now championed all over the world by professional and amateur surfers.
If you’re looking for a classic, timeless design and are a beginner to intermediate level bodyboarder, the Morey Mach is a brilliant choice.
The simplistic, bold design is what makes the Morey so desirable. Many riders have stayed loyal to the brand because of the consistency of brand quality over the years. The designs remain close to the vintage models whilst boasting a newer, advanced composition.
The bodyboard boasts a HDPE high-density polyethylene slick core with bottom channels, a power rod stringer, and a crescent tail. These details give the board that reinforced, solid strength whilst ensuring fast and controlled performance.
Whilst the board is on the slightly pricier side, its impressive construction, iconic design, and promise of durability makes the Morey Mach board worth every cent.
- Power Rod Stringer giving the board reinforced strength
- Slick, classic design
- The perfect combination of weight and flexibility
- Recognized, reputable brand
- One of the most timeless models in the bodyboard market
- The color of the shipped bodyboard may vary from the color shown in picture
- Measures 42" Long x 22-1/4" Max Width
- HDPE High Density Polyethylene slick bodyboard bottom with channels
- Power Rod Stringer gives the board solid reinforced strength
- Ideal for riders appoximately 160 - 180 lbs and less and 5'-9" - 6'-0" tall
- Color shipped may vary from color shown in picture
Best Bodyboards Buying Guide
There is a huge variety of bodyboards out there on the market. The bodyboard you choose will depend entirely on the sort of bodyboarder you are or are planning to become. The internet is filled with all sorts of models, suitable for both day-1 beginners and tournament professionals.
With bodyboards, you generally get what you pay for, and whilst there are some impressive, incredibly expensive bodyboards out there, there are also plenty of perfectly good, reasonably priced options.
Whatever kind of bodyboard you are looking to buy, there is a list of factors that you should consider before doing so. Hopefully, we can help your decision by breaking some of these down.
Sizing and Dimensions
Size is one of the most important elements to consider when choosing your bodyboard. As it says on the tin, the bodyboard works with your body, which is why the board needs to be proportional to your weight and height.
The size of your bodyboard will determine your movement and ability to catch waves. A bodyboard that is too big will cause poor control, whilst a bodyboard that is too small will cause you to slightly sink into the water. As a general rule, your ideal bodyboard should equate the distance between your knees and chin.
Typically, suppliers will provide a sizing chart for reference which takes both your weight and height into consideration, making it easier to decide on the right size for you!
The design and construction of a bodyboard will determine both its durability and ability to perform in the water. The two main forms of core used in bodyboards are polyethylene and polypropylene.
To break it down, polyethylene is generally the most common material used. It is heavier, but significantly more flexible compared to polypropylene which is although lighter, much stronger. Generally, polypropylene boards last a lot longer, and whilst they are not as flexible, they tend to be slightly better value for money.
Tail shape is probably something you want to consider when looking for your perfect bodyboard. With that said, if you are a beginner, likely, you wouldn’t even notice the difference. The tail has just as much as an effect on your bodyboard than its core construction.
Ultimately, the tail determines how the board will move and performs in the water. The two most common forms of tail shapes are bat tails and crescent tails. If you are concerned with the precision and control of your movements, you may want to go for the crescent tail, whilst if you are after a wider surface area and overall higher volume, then you may want to go for a bat tail.
There is no better or worse shape of a bodyboard tail, it is simply down to your personal preference.
A stringer is known as the spine of the bodyboard. They are used to ensure the board remains in shape when faced with major impact or pressure. They are typically rods or tubes of fiberglass or carbon that live in the central core of the board.
Whilst the majority of bodyboards only have one single stringer, there are more advanced models with two or three. To put it simply, the more stringers a board contains, the heavier and faster it will be.
Best Bodyboards - FAQ's
What’s the difference between a boogie board and a bodyboard?
From a physical point of view, there is no real difference between a boogie board and a bodyboard. They are members of the same family but are used for slightly different purposes.
Whilst the boogie board is typically more widely available, cheaper, and targeted towards kids, bodyboards are on the pricier side and are generally used by older beginners, advanced users, or even professional competitors.
Is bodyboarding dangerous?
Although bodyboarding is considered a lot safer than surfing, there are still several ways that an individual can get injured. When setting out to bodyboard, you should ensure that you are equipped with the correct protective gear, that you are taking the proper safety precautions and that you do not take any dangerous risks.
Are you supposed to wax a bodyboard?
There is an on-going debate about whether or not you should wax your bodyboard. Honestly, it simply depends on what you are going to be using that bodyboard for. If you are a beginner who is looking to do some casual, summer bodysurfing, then there is absolutely no need.
On the other hand, if you are a competitive bodysurfer and are on the market for something more professional, it might be something you want to consider. In short, it is completely up to you, but it is not required.
What are the best weather and tide conditions for bodyboarding?
As you know, the ocean and weather can be very temperamental, which is why you need to keep a close eye on the conditions before you set out to bodyboard. Similarly to the tide, the wind plays a huge part in dictating the conditions of a beach.
Whilst it can vary significantly, optimal conditions for bodyboarding are typically within 3 hours of low tide and ideally, it will be sunny, with a light wind, no riptides, and waves that form at waist height.
You can look up a local surf report for the majority of beaches which will allow you to monitor the tide, currents, and climate conditions.